Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Still here!

Because it's been so long since I last posted, I suppose I should say, "Merry Christmas", "Happy new Year" ..... and "Have a great Easter" is probably in order too! As with most people, the last couple of weeks have been hectic, we've had severe problems with the weather, and SWMBO's MS has taken a bit of a dive which has meant her care has taken up a lot more of my time than usual. She tries really hard to be as independent as possible, but that just hasn't been possible since before Christmas. We went up North to visit her family over the holiday period, but had to cut the visit short and come home as she just couldn't cope away from home and all her equipment. There's a limit to how much you can take in a car and put into a hotel room!

I would like to say that a thank you to the staff at the hotel was the least we could do when we left, as they were really kind and helpful. We have had many occasions to complain about service etc, but this was the exact opposite. When it became obvious that the MS was deteriorating quite rapidly they helped us to load the car and transfer SWMBO into her front seat. Despite all the adaptions, I would not have been able to do it all myself. This wasn't helped as I had done further damage to my ankle trying to transfer her earlier in the day. Not sure what has happened to it, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to involve another visit to the hospital.

My day seems to have changed somewhat too over the last couple of weeks. I now get up at about 8.30 - 9.00 and get ready whilst the carers are getting SWMBO showered and dressed. I don't seem to get to bed before 2.00am now, as I only seem to be able to get time to do housework etc after SWMBO has been "put-down" for the night. There is a distinct advantage to this, however, as going to Tesco's at 1.30am means that there is a distinct lack of rug-rats about. I know I'm a grumpy old git, (honest!) but if my kids had used the isles of the supermarket as a play area, I'd have ripped their b****y legs off! Last week I was actually knocked over TWICE by a child riding her bike up and down the supermarket isles. After the second knock-down, I got up, picked up the child's bike with her still on it, and took it to the security staff and informed them that if they didn't control both the child and her mother then I would sue the store for the injuries that I had received. I think that the fact that I had blood running down my ankle (fortunately the "good" one) and that I walk with sticks anyway had them worried. A tannoy call was put out for the mother, but it still took nearly four minutes for her to arrive. She, apparently, had met some friends and was having a coffee with them, and had told her child "not to get up to any mischief"! I told her what had happened, and that I was going to inform Social Services that she was not caring for the child correctly. Looking back, I think that I was hoping that it would shock her into thinking about her, and her child's, actions. In the event, both I and the security guard were flabbergasted to be on the end of one of the most foul-mouthed rants that I have heard since I left the RAF! It concluded with the statement that she was going to phone the police and have us both arrested for "child abuse". Some people should just not be allowed to reproduce!

Rant over ..... time for a nice glass of St. Emellion

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Glad you had such a positive experience with the hotel, but sympathise about the child mowing you down...I sometimes think they are programmed to go for us gimpy-finned ones!